North by the Numbers

UF Health North sees continued success with strong year-opening figures.

By: Sarah Miller

Three years ago, UF Health North changed the landscape of Jacksonville when the $140 million medical office building opened to the public Feb. 17, 2015. Last May, the campus nearly doubled in size and services with the $85 million bed tower expansion, and the year-end totals for 2017 show that the progress of North Jacksonville’s only full-service hospital continues.

UF Health North became fully operational with the opening of the Labor and Delivery Unit in August. The hospital provides more than 100 specialty and subspecialty services, using the latest equipment and surgical methods.

Advancements in obstetric care include the Novii wireless fetal monitoring system, which allows laboring mothers to move around their suites instead of remaining in bed attached to equipment. In addition, nitrous oxide is offered as an option for early labor pain management before an epidural is administered or as an alternative to an epidural. Innovative methods in cesarean section deliveries now provide a more involved, compassionate approach to surgical births.

“We’re really proud that we’ve been able to continue the success of the North campus with the opening of the new hospital,” said Wayne Marshall, vice president of UF Health North.

Nearly 90 percent of patients admitted through the Emergency Department stayed at North, with the remaining 10 percent transferred to the downtown campus. With the bed tower expansion, orthopaedic surgery, women’s specialists and the Neuroscience Institute moved into their own dedicated office suites at the hospital. Overall, UF Health North continues to have high volumes, with an average of 60 patients a day.

“Our commitment to providing our patients with the highest-quality care possible remains at the forefront of all our efforts,” Marshall said.

UF Health North Emergency Department entrance

UF Health North Emergency Department entrance

UF Health North’s administration closely monitors patient satisfaction scores and regularly reports feedback to staff. In fact, the Emergency Department and outpatient surgery center were both recognized with Patient Satisfaction 5-Star Awards for Overall Quality of Care by Professional Research Consultants Inc.

Linda Lawson, associate vice president of Nursing, looks to her strong, professional staff to make 2018 a year of sustained, high ratings from patients.

“It will require constant vigilance to perform at the highest level in employee, patient and quality standards,” Lawson said.

Marshall anticipates another prosperous year of continued growth for UF Health North by performing more robotic-assisted surgeries, offering additional complex procedures, such as spine and other neurosurgeries, and delivering more babies every month.